Author Topic: Culture and History  (Read 490 times)

Gaius Claudius Barbatus

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Culture and History
« on: August 29, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »
Could someone suggest books on Roman culture and history.
Thank you
Gaius Claudius Barbatus

A. Iulius Paterculus

• Magistrate
    • View Profile
Re: Culture and History
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 11:33:15 AM »
Salve Barbate,

For history, the immediate suggestion that comes to mind is Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. It's a famously long book so you may not find it possible to get through the whole thing, but the writing is excellent. Gibbon includes his own analysis alongside the narrative, which might inspire you to look at other interpretations.

Edith Hamilton's The Roman Way is another high quality older book you might want to look. It deals with Roman culture, although again with a great deal of interpretation that you will need to assess for yourself.

Anyone have other recommendations?

Vale,
Paterculus
P.S. Do we still use these epistolary conventions in the context of a forum?

C. Decius Laterensis

• Flamen Martialis
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NR Wiki Page
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:25:02 PM »
P.S. Do we still use these epistolary conventions in the context of a forum?

Usually not, though it would be a shame to lose them as it grants a rather unique flavor to our communications.  I think that's something we'll have to decide for ourselves.

*Puts on moderators hat*

Since this thread doesn't really relate to food or drink, I'm going to move it to the Forum Hospitum.  That's a better place for more general discussions.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:29:45 PM by C. Decius Laterensis »
All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Sulla

• Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 03:20:47 AM »
There are PLENTY of books on Roman history and culture.  Do you prefer Kindle links?  Do you prefer primary or secondary sources?

Gaius Claudius Barbatus

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:56:55 PM »
I prefer books. Secondary sources to start and when my Latin improves on to primary sources, if I understand your difference correctly.
Thank you
Gaius Claudius Barbatus